For Mother’s Day, I wanted to make something a little special to go with our dinner with my Mother-in-law. Knowing that we’d probably be super full, I just wanted something sweet, but not overly filling. And then I remembered this White Chocolate Lemon Truffle recipe I’d come across years ago and written down.
I have no idea where the original recipe came from, but I altered it a bit to make it work with what I had in the cupboard. It’s a very simple recipe, with only a few ingredients, and it doesn’t take long at all, but is amazingly delicious! Let me know if you make this!
White Chocolate Lemon Truffles (makes 15-25)
- 1/4 cup butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- icing sugar to coat (about 1/4 cup)
- Zest one lemon with the smallest side of the grater, or zester. Throw the zest into a medium saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, press the zest into the pot so that it releases all of the lemon oil. This is critical! Trust me…don’t skip this step.
2. Add the butter to your pot and cook on medium heat until butter is just melted.
3. Add the heavy cream and stir until the mixture comes ALMOST to a boil, but not quite. You just want the cream and butter to be hot.
4. Put the white chocolate chips into a bowl. Gently pour the cream mixture over the chocolate chips and stir until all the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Don’t worry about the zest…it will add to the flavour.
5. Add the lemon extract and mix in well. (I didn’t have lemon extract, and used orange extract, which worked beautifully and didn’t take away from the citrus flavour.)
6. Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes, or until the mixture is solid and not goopy.
7. Remove from fridge and scoop into 1 inch balls and roll in icing sugar. Put back in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe doesn’t make a huge batch, so if you’re interested in making lots, you might want to make a few batches. I wouldn’t recommend doubling.
The truffles are smooth and light and have a wonderful texture. Enjoy!