There’s still a stereotype about librarians. Believe me when I say, our jobs are not boring and we’re not all little old maids who shush everyone. In fact, just so you have an idea about what my day typically includes, here is a quick reference to a day last week.
TOP THREE MOST INTERESTING QUESTIONS LAST THURSDAY:
- Can you help me fill out this form for my car insurance?
- Did you know my husband only had one eye? (The “bad” part was that he also had a big nose and couldn’t help but see it out of his one good eye all day long.)
- Can I bring my laptop into the washroom with me? (Uh, okay.)
TOP THREE CONVERSATIONS LAST THURSDAY:
- A 10 minute discussion about shiny paint vs. dust-covered old trucks with a 3 year old.
- The funniest story I’ve heard in a long time by our summer student who explained that her grandpa told her recently that “girls these days can grow up to do almost anything.”
- Had a chat with a patron who wondered if I’d seen any good movies lately. Didn’t take out any books, of course.
WHAT I DID ALL DAY:
- reinstalled a printer on a computer…three times.
- finished cutting out 100+ tiny paper trees for our summer program
- cataloged a book about an orange superhero, a biography about One Direction and a book about pirates
- planned a lemonade stand (for work, of course)
- ran a babytime session for 6 babies, 5 moms, 1 dad and 1 grandpa
- cleaned 25 plastic shaker eggs after said babytime session
- checked books in and out
- answered phones
- sent emails
- made posters and tickets for a ventriloquism event
- complained about something (because I seem to do that everyday, unfortunately)
- took a photo for our new library Instagram page
- found books for a four year old who desperately wanted something on gardening and Mickey Mouse
- talked with a mom about her baby’s stylish jeggings
And Thursdays are usually the slow days.
6 Responses to Librarians Have Fun!